Announced insistently in LOSC, especially after the departure of Jocelyn Gourvennec, it is likely that Paulo Fonseca will leave to be the new manager of Lille. If the deal goes through, here are some stats to know.
Coach of the 31 LOSC?
Apart from interim for some games, Paulo Fonseca could be the thirty-first coach of the professional section. Here is the full list.
- George Berry (ENG): 1944-46
- Andre Cheuva: 1946-59
- Jacques Delepaut: interim in 1959
- Julius Vandooren: 1959-61
- Jean Baratte: 1961-62
- Jean Van Gool: interim in 1962
- Guy Poitevin: 1962-63
- Julio Bigot: 1963-66
- Jean Van Gool: interim in 1966
- Daniel Langrand: 1966-69
- Joseph Jadrejak: 1969-70
- Rene Guardian: 1970-73
- Georges Peyroche: 1973-77
- Charles Samoy: interim in 1977
- Jose Arribas: 1977-82
- Arnaud Dos Santos: 1982-84
- Georges Heylens (BEL): 1984-89
- Jacques Santini: 1989-92
- Bruno Metsu: 1992-93
- Henryk Kasperczak (POL): Spring 1993
- Peter Mankowski: 1993-94
- Jean Fernandez: 1994-August 1995
- Jean-Michel Cavalli: 1995-97
- Hervé Gauthier & Charles Samoy: interim in 1997
- Thierry Froger: 1997-1998
- Vahid Halilhodzic (BOS): 1998-2002
- Claudio Puel: 2002-08
- Rudi Garcia: 2008-13
- Rene Girard: 2013-15
- Hervé Renard: July/November 2015
- Patrick Collot: interim November 2015
- Frederic Antonetti: November 2015 to November. 2016
- Patrick Collot: Acting Nov. 2016-Feb. 2017
- Franck Passi: February. 2017-May 2017
- Marcelo Bielsa: June 2017- November 2017
- Joao Sacramento (POR): Interim Nov./Dec. 2017
- Christophe Galtier: January 2018-2021
- Jocelyn Gourvennec: 2021-22
Only the sixth stranger
If the club’s first manager was George Berry, a English that he had finished his playing career at SC Five, and that he offered LOSC the first cup-league double; subsequently, the use of foreign coaches was very limited.
We remember the neighbor Belgian Georges Heylens spent five seasons on the bench, and necessarily Vahid Halilhodžić, coach Bosnian at the origin of the Lille renaissance in the early 2000s. On the other hand, the Polish Henryk Kasperczak only made a quick period of about ten games, it is little more than the caretaker led by the Portuguese Joao Sacramento in November and December 2017 (together with Fernando Da Cruz)
Paulo Fonseca knows the Pierre-Mauroy Stadium
Former central defender Paulo Alexandre Rodrigues Fonseca has never crossed into LOSC as a player. On the other hand, as a coach, he played two friendly matches against the Mastiffs. First in the summer of 2015 with SC Braga (1-1), then during Fan Day 2019. At that time, his AS Roma had just won 3-2 at the Stade Pierre-Mauroy.
— LOSC (@losclive) August 3, 2019
It should be noted that Paulo Fonseca could have met José Fonte at the Estrela da Amadora, but that his time at the Portuguese club is separated by a few months.
The Portuguese language is still present in the locker room
With the recent departures of Rafael Leão, Rui Fonte, Gabriel, Thiago Maia, Thiago Mendes, Luiz Araujo or Reinildo, and those announced by Xeka or Renato Sanches… one might wonder which language would be the majority in the Lille dressing room. However, the extension of captain José Fonte, the new role of Tiago Djalo and the possible arrival of Paulo Fonseca will make it possible to maintain the lusophony of the locker room. However, the French language should once again be in the majority this summer.