Rice pudding, this exceptional children’s dessert. Seemingly quite simple, it’s actually not that easy to achieve. Overcooked, it becomes doughy, too sweet, gross. To succeed as Granny, follow the recipe.
The basic recipe for rice pudding.
- 150g of rice
- 1 liter of whole milk (it is softer)
- 100g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, add the halved lengthwise vanilla bean and bring to a boil, watching closely.
- As soon as the milk boils, pour in the rice, stir and wait for it to boil again.
- Lower heat and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. The rice grains should be wrapped in a thick and creamy milk.
- Then add the sugar, mix gently and then pour into a salad bowl.
- Serve warm, or cold. In this case, stick a stretch film to the surface of the rice to prevent film formation. Let cool and then place in the fridge.
tips for success
- We chose a rice for risotto (arborio or carnaroli). The starch in this type of rice diffuses well into the cooking liquid, which makes it possible to obtain a creamy rice pudding with a slightly firm center of the grain.
- Cook over low heat and stir regularly. The rice grains should not absorb all the cooking milk.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat while the mixture is still a little runny: the rice will continue to absorb the milk as it cools and thickens.
Why is my rice pudding too runny?
Rice pudding that is too runny can be a sign of bad kitchen, or a poor choice of milk. the cooking should be long and slow : If you don’t cook your rice long enough, the result can be too runny.
Also go for whole milk over semi-skimmed milk because a minimum of fat is needed for the rice to curdle. For the perfect texture, chef Cyril Lignac also advises choosing round rice for a better recipe. With its high starch content, it will naturally thicken preparations.
How to prevent rice pudding from sticking?
To prevent the rice from sticking, do not allow a skin to form on the surface and do not allow the milk to boil. Stir the content regularly with a wooden spoon.
Before starting the recipe, so that the rice pudding does not stick to the pan, rinse it with cold water, do not dry it, and pour the milk directly into it.
How to revisit rice pudding?
substitute vanilla : with a cinnamon stick, orange zest, grated tonka bean, a bit of bitter almond aroma
Add dried fruit : raisins, dried cranberries, goji berries, chopped pear…
Serve it with a coulis : chocolate, caramel or red fruits. Or covered with a syrup regressive to the violet, cotton candy, bubble gum…
a chocolate version : add 100 g of chocolate cubes to the still hot rice and reduce the amount of sugar (75 instead of 100 g).
Is rice pudding fattening?
A 100-gram serving of rice pudding contains about 125 kilocalories. By comparison, products in the dessert category provide an average of 185 kilocalories. Eating rice pudding from time to time does not make you fat.
Rice only provides slow sugars which, unlike fast sugars, will promote weight loss. He prefers brown rice, healthier than white rice. If you want to thin the milk, you can use a vegetable drink such as almond or coconut milk.
Consuming it after sports or at breakfast in the morning would even help you lose weight. Indeed, it is a satiating and at the same time light dessert, which will allow you to recover after the day’s activities.
What is the origin of rice pudding?
If the recipe for rice pudding is known to all, the origins of this dessert remain unclear and date back to the fifteenth century.me and 16me centuries. The recipe for rice pudding was found in a Dutch cookbook, called La cuisine notable. But it is a global dish, hence the difficulty of knowing where exactly it originated. “This dish is probably much older in other civilizations, and specifically in Asia or India, where rice pudding was cooked, and spices were added.“, indicated Olivier Poels, gastronomic columnist of european 1.
In France it’s at 7:00 p.m.me century in which rice pudding lost its status as a soup to become a dessert in its own right, flavored with vanilla, lemon or even orange blossom water. And to change the traditional recipe, some chefs serve it with pastry cream or lemon zest.
In video: the recipe for lactose-free rice pudding