Man suffers from an overdose of vitamin D after ingesting 400 times the recommended daily dose

present in many food such as certain fish, produced during the interaction of the sun’s rays Sun with our skin vitamin D it is good for the body. But like all good things, it is essential to consume it in moderation. a fifty year old British unfortunately he paid the price for his excessive consumption after ingesting 400 times the recommended daily dose, ScienceAlert reports.

This man’s story made headlines across the English Channel after doctors The National Health Service (NHS) have issued a warning about the dangers of overdosing on vitamin D. While some scientists were interested in the protective effect of the vitamin against COVID-19 in period of pandemicAt the same time, health professionals have observed an increase in cases ofpoisoning related to dietary supplementalso known as hypervitaminosis D.

“Globally, there is a growing trend of hypervitaminosis D, a clinical condition characterized by elevated levels of vitamin D3”we can read in this new case study published in the scientific journal BMJ Journals on July 6, 2022. “Given the slow turnover during which vitamin D toxicity develops, symptoms can last for several weeks.”

A long list of symptoms

The fifty-year-old had thus gone to his doctor, complaining of “recurrent vomiting, nausea, leg cramps, tinnitus, abdominal pain, dry mouth, increased thirst, and diarrhea”. Their symptom it had been going on for nearly three months, during which he had lost about 30 pounds. Her condition prompted the doctor to request a hospitalization in the shortest possible time.

Blood tests revealed that the patient had particularly high levels of calcium and magnesium. His vitamin D level was also seven times higher than normal and his kidneys were not working properly. “given the high concentrations of minerals and vitamins I was taking.” The Briton explained to his doctor that he was seeking further treatment after suffering several Health.

If the level of vitamin D in your blood remained high two months after your release fromhospital, the man is now in a much better state. The scientists behind the study, however, call for vigilance and explain to the population how to recognize the symptoms of possible vitamin D intoxication, namely “feeling sleepy, vomiting, constipation, peptic ulcers, high blood pressure, heart rhythm abnormalities, inflammatory eye disease, joint stiffness, and kidney problems.”

“This case report once again highlights the toxicity potential of supplements, which are generally considered safe until taken in unsafe amounts or combinations.the authors conclude.

Leave a Comment